Illinois ASA Class of 2009 Hall of Fame inductees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fastpitchwest Forum Forum Index -> Illinois Fastpitch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffrey Profitt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Illinois ASA Class of 2009 Hall of Fame inductees Reply with quote

Wednesday, the Illinois ASA formally announced its Hall of Fame '09 class.
Induction ceremonies are Saturday, April 4 at the Decatur Hotel and Convention Center. More details on the Hall of Fame banquet will be announced soon, I'm told.

Class of 2009:

Individuals-
Buster Chumbley, Monticello (Played from 65-84, most notably with Decatur ADM. A GREAT PLAYER.)

Jack Mintun, Decatur (Played for over 20 years for legendary teams like Decatur Rileys, Decatur Perfect, Decatur Lingafelters and Maroa Red Door. Multi-time "AA" All-Stater.)

Jeff Ferguson, Herrin (Slugger on the famed Murdale Oilers "AA" teams, was '73 AA state MVP and held the longtime home run record in "AA" state tournament play (5 in '73). He also starred in masters play.

Lew Schweizer, Pinckneyville (One of the south's best-ever lefty hitters, Schweizer played with Du Quoin, Pinckneyville Provart Construction, Martin Oilers, Pinckneyville Keene Roadbuilders and Pinckneyville Celtics from 1964-1988).
An outfielder/DH, he hit over .300 11different summers and retired in 1988 with a career .321 average and 929 hits. He was a member of state championship teams with the Oilers and Celtics.

Umpires-
Ron Kramer, Taylor Ridge

Men's Teams-
Bloomington Beer Nuts
Casey Truckers

Women's Teams:
Springfield/Decatur Rockettes

Junior Olympic Girls Team:
Peoria-Pekin Melton Electric Outlaws

Congrats to all. Its another great Class for the ASA Hall.

My age is starting to show, I suppose. I remember the playing days of Chumbley, Ferguson and Schweizer well along with the Beer Nuts of the 80's and 90's and Casey Truckers of the 70's.

I've watched Ron Kramer call a bunch of games and recall "old timers" talking about how good Mintun was.

In the old Pinckneyville Fall League, back in 1994, I won all 15 games in the pitching circle for my team. The coolest thing, though, was facing a team of Pinckneyville Old Timers." Lew Schweizer was on that team and I remember spinning just enough junk up there to get him out twice.

I remember telling one of my infielders, just a high school kid, that "I got Lew Schweizer out TWICE." For someone like me who's been around fastpitch since diapers, pitching to Lew was truly neat. I totally realized that I would have been no match for Lew during his prime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fastpitchwest Forum Forum Index -> Illinois Fastpitch All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: