The first of three days of Men’s Softball World Cup Super Round action took place on Thursday at Rosedale Park in Auckland, New Zealand with the top four teams to play off for medals on Sunday. Argentina beat Venezuela, Australia and Canada were too good for Cuba and USA respectively in Super Round action; Placement Round – New Zealand beat South Africa, Japan overcame the Philippines and Czech Republic beat Denmark.
- Canada beat USA in first Super Round game, Australia beat Cuba in second and Argentina won against Venezuela.
- Czech Republic beat Denmark in first Placement Round game and Japan beat the Philippines before New Zealand were too good for South Africa.
- Top six teams from the Opening Round play in the Super Round. Bottom six teams play in the Placement Round. Teams take the results of their games against fellow Super Round or Placement Round teams with them.
- Super Round Standings: Canada (3-0), Argentina (3-0), Australia (2-1); USA (1-2), Venezuela (0-3), Cuba (0-3)
- Placement Round Standings: Japan (3-0); New Zealand (3-0), Czech Republic (2-1), South Africa (1-2); Philippines (0-3), Denmark (0-3)
- Tournament Website
- Watch Live on GameTime.Sport
Day 6 Schedule-Results
Denmark 2-7 Czech Republic (Placement Round) Box Score and Photos
USA 3-4 Canada (Super Round) Box Score and Play by Play
Philippines 3-8 Japan (Placement Round) Box Score and Photos
Cuba 0-3 Australia (Super Round) Box Score and Photos
Venezuela 3-6 Argentina (Super Round) Box Score and Photos
South Africa 0-7 New Zealand (Placement Round) Box Score and Photos
Defending champions Argentina and four-time winners Canada lead the Super Round standings after the first day of the WBSC Men’s Softball World Cup Super Round at Rosedale Park in Auckland, New Zealand on Thursday.
Argentina, who beat Venezuela 6-3, and Canada, who came from behind to beat USA 4-3, are unbeaten with three wins and will play each other on Friday.
Adam Folkard and Jack Besgrove combined to no-hit Cuba in Australia’s 3-0 win over Cuba. Veteran superstar Adam Folkard started for Australia and tossed four almost perfect innings. He only hit a batter in the top of the fourth, the only Cuban to reach base in that span of the game. Australia (2-1 win-loss record) will play USA (1-2) on Friday. Venezuela (0-3) and Cuba (0-3) will also play on Friday.
Meanwhile in the Placement Round, thirty-year-old Kazuya Toriyama lit up the WBSC Men’s Softball World Cup with three home runs and five RBIs in Japan’s 8-3 win over the Philippines. Vojtech Forman’s grand slam helped Czech Republic beat Denmark 7-2 and New Zealand finished the evening game as 7-0 winners over South Africa.