The tournament was originally scheduled for 2020. Players who would have been eligible in 2020 will be able to compete in the postponed world championship.
The World Baseball Softball Confederation today announced that the inaugural WBSC U-18 Women’s Softball World Cup will be played from 5 to 12 December 2021 in Peru.
You might also be interested in:
– Peru to hold art softball exhibition to promote U-18 Women’s World Cup
– Peru unveils original song to support U-18 Softball National Team
The 16-team youth softball world championship had been originally scheduled to take place in 2020, prior to it being postponed due to COVID-19.
As a result of the one-year postponement of the tournament, all players who would have been eligible to participate in the 2020 edition will still be able to play in December.
The 16 qualified national teams remain as follows:
- Africa (1): World No. 26 South Africa
- Americas (5): No. 2 USA, No. 3 Canada, No. 4 Mexico, No. 5 Puerto Rico and No. 30 Peru (host)
- Asia (3): No. 1 Japan, No. 6 Chinese Taipei and No. 7 China
- Europe (3): No. 8 Italy, No. 10 Netherlands and No. 13 Czech Republic
- Oceania (2): No. 9 Australia and No. 16 New Zealand
- Wild Cards (2): No. 12 Philippines, No. 40 Colombia
The new WBSC U-18 Women’s Softball World Cup will replace the U-19 Softball World Cup. The United States are the three-time defending U-19 Women’s Softball World Champions.