The final day of the Men’s Softball World Cup Opening Round at Rosedale Park in Auckland, New Zealand saw Cuba beat the hosts in a nine-inning tiebreaker to confirm a Group A Super Round spot along with Venezuela in Group B.
- Cuba beat New Zealand in the ninth extra inning to claim final Super Round spot
- Canada beat Japan to remain unbeaten, a win which confirmed Venezuela in the Super Round
- Argentina, USA in Group A; Canada, Australia in Group B already qualified for Super Round
- Czech Republic recorded second win of the tournament, over the Philippines
- Australia beat South Africa in the first game of the day,
- Tournament Website
- Watch Live on GameTime.Sport
Day 5 Results
Australia 15-0 South Africa Box Score and Photos
USA 3-5 Argentina Box Score and Photos
Czech Republic 6-1 Philippines Box Score and Photos
Japan 2-9 Canada Box Score and Photos
Venezuela 8-3 Denmark Box Score and Photos
New Zealand 0-1 Cuba (9 innings) Box Score and Photos
Group A Standings: Argentina 5-0; USA 3-2; Cuba 3-2; New Zealand 2-3; Czech Republic 2-3; Philippines 0-5
Group B Standings: Canada 5-0; Australia 4-1; Venezuela 3-2; Japan 2-3; South Africa 1-4; Denmark 0-5;
A super, dramatic day confirmed the last two teams for the Super Round, joining Argentina, USA, Canada and Australia.
The last day of the WBSC Men’s Softball World Cup 2022 Opening Round on Wednesday served up more drama and emotion as Cuba and Venezuela claimed the two last spots in the Super Round, joining defending champions Argentina, Canada, USA and Australia.
Seven-time champions New Zealand lost to Cuba in an amazing nine-inning tiebreaker 1-0 confirming a spot in the Placement Round featuring the bottom six teams for the hosts, whose worst result in 16 previous editions is fifth.
Venezuela entered their game against winless Denmark knowing a win would book their spot in the Super Round but Canada’s defeat of Japan, confirmed Venezuela’s spot.